Sunday, November 10, 2013

Getting Started

I started this blog to share my quilting adventures with my friends and family. I love to quilt any time I am not working or snow skiing. Also important aspects of my life. I have been a  member of Starlight Quilt Guild in Kansas for about 12 years now. I love that our guild supports all kinds of quilters and quilt styles. I mention the quilt guild because my guild friends and guild experiences are a constant source of inspiration and education. Over the last several months there have been several inspiring events that have set me upon my current course of creative expression. At a recent guild meeting we had guild friend and frequent presenter, Deb Rowden presenting her collection of antique, improvisational-ly pieced quilts. She enthusiastically encourage all of us to try tossing aside our rulers and rotary cutters for scissors and just sew stuff together. A true "go with the flow" presentation!

Another inspirational event that precipitated my current project was my friend and work colleague David Babcock who recently knitted his way to a Guinness World Record whilst running the Kansas City Marathon. One thing he said to me and to some of his interviewers was that he wanted to encourage people to live creatively and to look to combine the things they enjoy in creative ways and have an impact on the community. 

So, from David Babcock came my current challenge: to say thank you and I love you to 50 people who have befriended  me, loved me, mentored me, and/or supported me. From Deb Rowden comes the second part of the challenge and that is to create a series of 50 small improvisationally designed, quilted art postcards to mail out to the aforementioned 50 people. 

Thinking this over, I decided that since there was a series of cards, and each one is unique, the recipients of these cards might enjoy seeing the other cards and learning the back story of their card. It's nice to know you are special and it's also nice to know that you belong to a group. 

I have already produced 43 cards, I have several in my studio that are designed and ready to be quilted and I still need to come up with two more unique designs. I hope to get finished this weekend!

David Babcock nearing the end of the Kansas City Marathon

7 comments:

  1. Hi Susan,
    It was so good to see you last night at FFS and really fun to see the wonderful postcards that you have created...and each one of them different from the other! How thoughtful to honor those who have moved you forward on your creative road... You've inspired me to think of ways to do that as well for the people who have impacted me...
    Val

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great to see you too! I always love the show and tells and hearing what everyone else is up to. Thanks for checking out my blog!

      Delete
  2. Susan! I love what you are doing.
    wanna trade postcards?
    feel free to email me
    debrowden55@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Mom! This is great! I really like your newest postcard! I gotta admit, i'm hoping to get one when I go to Germany. :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you sweetie! I'm hoping I get them in the mail long before you leave for Germany. The big photoshoot is tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You forgot to mention the great encouragement you gave me those last hundred yards of the marathon. I was privileged to see the postcards in person. They look awesome! Such a great combination of your creative/skills and your compassion.

    ReplyDelete